The history of St. Dominic High School is part of an 80 plus-year story of Catholic secondary education in O'Fallon. Built upon the foundation of its predecessor, Assumption High School, St. Dominic High School continues the educational vision that began in 1929. The vision set forth those many years ago was that of Catholic secondary education for all area young people. It began at Assumption Parish in O'Fallon.
Assumption High School
In 1929, Assumption High School was established as the first parish Catholic high school in the area. It was staffed by the Sisters of the Most Precious Blood, O'Fallon. Classes took place in a four-room white school house until 1955, when a larger facility opened.
By 1961, the facilities were again inadequate to accommodate the ever-increasing enrollment. Committed to keeping open the only Catholic high school in the area, Assumption Parish petitioned the Archdiocese for assistance. Through the generosity of area families and with the help of the Archdiocese, a new high school was able to be built - St. Dominic High School. It was now a regional high school serving students from more than fourteen parishes. The school received its name as an expression of gratitude to the Dominican Congregation of our Lady of the Rosary, Sparkill - the sisters who responded to Cardinal Ritter's request to administer the school.
St Dominic High School Opens
St. Dominic High School opened on September 4, 1962, but held its first year's classes in the old Assumption building, while the new school was being built. Then in September of 1963, students began attending classes at #31 St. Dominic Drive, the school's current location. Since 1963, St. Dominic High School has grown, both in number of students and in campus area and facilities. In 2000, a new wing opened, which included eighteen classrooms and a much larger library. In 2004, the Crusader Stadium with new track and field was dedicated. Current enrollment is over 650. During 2009-2010, construction began on a multi-purpose facility which included a new gym and performing arts center. The new Fallon Family Center opened in the 2010-2011 school year; and the Amy E Dickherber Performing Arts Center opened at the start of the 2011-2012 school year.
At one time, thirteen Dominican sisters (Dominican Sisters of Our Lady of the Rosary, Sparkill, NY) worked at the school. The final Dominican, Sister Jeanne Margaret Stoltz, OP left after serving St. Dominic High School for 45 years. In 2010, the former convent was named The Dominican Center. Currently it provides offices, work space for the Advancement Office, bookkeeping, tuition collection and conference rooms.
The Four Pillars
Following the four pillars of the Dominican Order - Prayer, Study, Community, and Service - St. Dominic High School encourages in its student's lifelong growth in faith, knowledge, leadership, and involvement. St. Dominic High School is accredited by the AdvancEd Accreditation Commission. It proudly continues the mission of Catholic secondary education for area young people, which began 80 plus years ago at Assumption High School.