St. Dominic (1170-1221) was called to be of service by preaching the gospel to people who otherwise wouldn't hear God's Word. After training as a priest, Dominic realized the need for people to learn more about the gospels. He received the permission of the Pope to form the Order of Preachers. These men would study at the universities and then travel around to the small villages and preach the Good News to the peasants. In some areas, his groups of nuns started schools for the children. St. Dominic's life fulfilled a dream his mother had of him as a hound dog that roamed with a torch in his mouth setting the countryside on fire. He is often pictured with a star denoting the brightness of his mind.
The four pillars of the Dominican Order, prayer, study, community, and service, can be seen clearly in the life and work of St. Dominic. He studied to prepare himself for his work and relied on his brethren and on prayer to give him the strength to follow his calling. Today, students follow Dominic's example when they study to prepare themselves for work and service to others. They also use the friendship of the school community and the strengthening power of prayer to sustain them in work and service. The four pillars are now the basis of the mission statement.
The school motto is found on the school crest and reads: "FORTITER IN FIDE"
"Bravely In Faith" (the literal translation). The intended meaning is to have courage in living ideals.
The School Crest
The Gold Field Aflame represents the Church fired with the Holy Spirit. Upon this field of flame is imposed the shield of the Order of Preachers, founded by St. Dominic.
The Blue on the shield honors the Blessed Virgin Mary.
The Torch represents Christ and His Truth.
The Rose is symbolic of the Rosary and Our Lady's love for her children.
The Eight-Pointed Star represents St. Dominic as a joyful witness of Christ.
The school crest features a coat of arms with a double charge.